About The Product
YARDLEY LONDON ENGLISH LAVENDER BRILLIANTINE
Type: Hair Pomade
Price: 475 INR for 80g/2.8 .oz (When I got It, 4 months ago)
Packaging: Glass Jar and Tin cap
The original English Lavender Brilliantine by Yardley is a traditional pomade that holds, helps shape and adds shine to hair.
What is Brilliantine?
As stated by the company itself, it is a pomade. These pomades were traditionally used to soften and style men’s hair, beard, and mustache. It also provides hold. There are different types of pomades or brilliantines in the market some contain beeswax, some don’t. The difference, that I gathered from research is that the ones with more beeswax are harder to wash out unless you use a shampoo that has SLS or SLES in them. As compared to oil and petroleum based pomades, water-based pomades are easier to wash out. The YARDLEY LONDON ENGLISH LAVENDER BRILLIANTINE is petroleum based.
Do you need a Brilliantine pomade?
Yes, If the following is true for you :
- You want to style your hair in a way that requires it to look sleek, neat and sophisticated and do not want to use a hair wax or hair spray.
- Your hair looks very brittle, dry, damaged.
- You have a think mane that is uncontrollable
- You have frizzy hair that just love to rebel and try to show you who’s the boss.
- You feel like trying the Brilliantine for yourself to see if you like it or not.
- You want to add luster to your otherwise stubborn hair.
- Petrolatum: Otherwise known as Petroleum Jelly, a topical ointment used widely for its healing properties.
- Paraffinum Liquidum: It is a very highly refined mineral oil used in cosmetics and for medical purposes.
- Paraffin: Paraffin wax is a white or colorless soft solid derivable from petroleum, a waterproofing compound.
- Octocrylene: Octocrylene is a chemical compound often used as an additive in sunscreen, and is thought to have skin moisturizing effects because of its emollient properties.
- Parfum: Refers to perfume
- Limonene: Limonene is a colorless liquid with a light, fresh, and sweet citrus odor used to make fragrances and flavors. It is naturally occurring substance found in many citrus fruits. However, it has been linked to be promoting tumors in some researches so it’s been rated a poor ingredient.
- Linalool: Linalool is a colorless liquid with a soft, sweet odour. It occurs naturally in many essential oils, such as ho wood oil, tangerine, spearmint, rose, neroli, mandarin, lemon, lime, lavender, cypress, grapefruit, cinnamon, chamomile, palmarossa and ylang ylang
- Coumarin: An anti-oxidant extracted from plant sources. It is reputed as a good ingredient generally.
- Eugenol: A major component of clove oil, research has shown that the eugenol content of clove causes skin-cell death. best avoided in leave-on products for the skin.
- Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract: Also known as ring lichen extract, used for masking and skin condition and is considered a Known human immune system toxicant or allergen if in exceeding amounts than allowed.
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone: A synthetic compound in the form of a colorless liquid. Functions: Used as a perfume. Adds fragrance to a variety of products including aftershave lotion, bubble baths, hair care products and moisturizers. Possible human immune system toxicant or allergen if in exceeding amounts than allowed.
- Isoeugenol: Isoeugenol is a substituted phenol that occurs naturally in Ylang-Ylang, clove, cinnamon, tuberose, jonquil, nutmeg and sandalwood. The presence of Isoeugenol must be indicated in the list of ingredients as allergenic when its concentration exceeds: 0.001% in leave-on the skin products 0.01% in products that are rinsed off the skin
- Hydroxycitronellal: Hydroxycitronellal is a pale yellow liquid with a sweet floral aroma. In cosmetics and personal care products, Hydroxycitronellal is used in the formulation of colognes, hair sprays, perfumes and skin care products.The presence must be indicated in the list of ingredients as allergenic when its concentration exceeds: 0.001% in leave-on the skin products 0.01% in products that are rinsed off the skin .
- Geraniol: Geraniol is a naturally occurring fragrance compound found in oil-of-rose, citronella oil, and in the essential oils of geranium and lemon. It can also be produced synthetically. The IFRA Standard restricts the use of Geraniol in fragrances for skin care because of potential sensitization.
- Citral: It has a strong, fresh odor of lemon peel, and used it as a fragrance material.
- Citronellol: Citronellol is a colorless oily liquid with a floral smell suggestive of rose. In cosmetics and personal care products, Citronellol is used in the formulation of aftershave lotions, bath products, bubble baths, cleansing products, hair care products, lipsticks, moisturizers, perfumes and colognes and skin care products.
- Benzyl Benzoate: Benzyl Benzoate is an ester of Benzyl Alcohol and Benzoic Acid. Used as a solvent and anti-microbial agent.
- Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract: Extract of a plant used for fragrance, may be allergenic.
- CI 47000: A cosmetic colorant, low health hazard.
- CI 61565: A cosmetic colorant, low health hazard.
Note: Ingredients were researched using various sites through google and the copyright to that information belongs to their original authors.
PROS OF YARDLEY LONDON ENGLISH LAVENDER BRILLIANTINE
- Adds Luster
- Tames frizzy rebellious hair
- Adds Shine
- Provides hold in hair styling
- Lovely fresh fragrance
- Lovely Vintage packaging
- Gives a sleek finish when applied
- Softens Hair
- Unisex: Can be used by both men and women, so your boyfriends, brothers and Husbands can share it with you or you can share with them instead of having to spend a fortune on different products for him and yourself.
- It doesn’t have silicones
- It tames fly-away hair very well
CONS OF YARDLEY LONDON ENGLISH LAVENDER BRILLIANTINE
- For people looking for an organic product, this isn’t it.
- The Expiry date isn’t mentioned or at least on in a language, I could understand.
- If you use too much of it, it might make your hair look greasy.
- If you use a shampoo that does not have SLS or SLES in it then you might find that it builds up over time just like products that have silicones in them.
- Expensive, especially after its price increased.
I have an oily scalp, dry, curly hair. They are very prone to frizz if not taken care of, I loved this Yardley London English Lavender Brilliantine. It does all that it claim, Yes it is not organic but then that doesn’t bother me as much for this product since I only have to use a very little amount and It is not meant to be put on the scalp and thus, the ingredients which can be skin irritants don’t bother me much for this specific product since hair is dead matter and I am not putting it on scalp where it can be absorbed.
However, I do not use it directly on my hair, After shampoo and conditioner, I apply pure almond oil to my hair , that way the good stuff is coating my hair before I apply this Yardley London English Lavender Brilliantine. That way I get the benefits of this product and the goodness of the almond oil.
I have dry hair so these super moisturizing cream doesn’t make them look greasy even after almond oil. But people with oily hair may wanna be careful with the amount they use. Again i would like to mention that If you use a shampoo that does not have SLS or SLES in it then you might find that it builds up over time just like products that have silicones in them. I use Vatika hair shampoo and I was able to easily get it out of my hair, I even hair Forest essentials Indian Rose shampoo and I managed to get it out with that too.
Overall, I like this pomade for doing what it claims to do. I also loved that it tames the tiny flyaway hair that i get. This is probably one non-organic hair product that I will continue to use.
For men, I would like to add that this Yardley London English Lavender Brilliantine will give you the hold, shine that you need to make quiff hairstyle and any other hairstyle that requires s sleek finish and it can also be used to groom the beard and keep it in shape. It softens beard hair really well, I know that because that is what Yardley London English Lavender Brilliantine cream is originally made for.
Where To Buy